Bringing a new life into this world can be overwhelming all on it’s own. Many new moms have no clue where to begin when making a baby registry. I remember spending THREE hours on our first trip to Buy Buy Baby to make a registry. Half of that was spent looking at the entire wall full of different kinds of bottles, all good for different reasons. My husband had to leave to get me food and bring it back so we could finish the registry! I sure love Buy Buy Baby but looking back, I wish I had just created a registry online from the comfort of my own home! You can do that here. Shop Amazon – Create an Amazon Baby Registry You’re welcome! 🙂
When the baby finally came we figured out there were so many things actually needed but didn’t have.In order to save you a trip back to the store or stressful moments without something you might need, here is a list of the top 10 products I never knew I needed as a new mom. If you order on Amazon, you never even have to leave your house to get it! Even better, become an Amazon Prime Family Member and get free two-day shipping right to your door along with 20% off diaper subscriptions and exclusive coupons and deals. Join Amazon Family 30-Day Free Trial With two kids at home and two full time jobs, we usually don’t have time to run across town to Buy Buy Baby, so Amazon is our main go to for diapers, wipes, and many other random baby products.
- Infant tub for the sink- When your baby is first born, before they are big enough for the toddler tubs, you will most likely bathe your newborn in the sink. This fold-able tub can fit in most kitchen and even bathroom sinks making it easy to set your baby in and freeing up one hand to actually bathe your newborn with.
- Love to Dream Swaddle– Another product, I cannot get enough of. This is my go-to gift for new moms! When babies are placed on their back to sleep, they naturally raise their arms to self soothe. This swaddle allows the infant to be snug and confined while still allowing them to raise their arms and even put their hands by their face to self soothe. You also don’t have to worry about it becoming loose and covering the baby’s face while they sleep. When I found out about this product, my life became so much easier!You can also find the next level when you want to start transitioning your baby out of the swaddle here. The arms zip off so the baby’s arms are free while the rest of their body is swaddled.
- Rock ‘n Play Sleeper- The Rock ‘n Play is a small rocker that the baby can sit in when you need to set them down for a minute or sleep in. The nice thing about it is that it is easy to move around from room to room while swings and cribs normally stay in one room. It was a life saver when we went on trips too! This one has a feature that will rock itself. Another nice to have product!
- My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow– Oh boy, I almost couldn’t get over the name when I heard about this product from my actual best friend. She ended up getting it for me as a gift. As a new mom that was struggling with breastfeeding, it really did become my brest friend. 🙂 There are many nursing pillows out there, but this one has a buckle feature that allows you to move while feeding, without having to situate the pillow each time. Heck, you can even stand up and walk around while using it. Yes, please!
- MamaRoo Baby Swing– This infant swing, if you can call it that, is genius. Rather than swing back and fourth it goes slowly from side to side while also going up and down, mimicking the bounce and sway motions of a mother. While I never personally used this product with my babies, I have seen others use it and I would buy it in the future. It is simply magic! It even has an app that lets you control the settings from your phone. How convenient is that?
- Medela Pump and Save Breast Milk Bags– This is a product I didn’t know about until recently and wish I had! Instead of pumping into a bottle and having to pour it into a milk storage bag later and wash the bottles, save yourself some time and pump straight into these milk freezer bags. They attach onto your pump shields (made for Medela, but can probably be used with other brands as well) and catch the milk. You can then zip it up and stick it in the freezer! ANYTHING to save time is a must have in my opinion!
- WubbaNub– I cannot rave about this product enough! I know many people think they are a waste of money and just something cute, but for me these have been a life saver. My daughter was OBSESSED with her pacifiers! We had hundreds of them but we were lucky if we could ever find one at any given time. They would fall down behind the crib or in the car and we could never find them! The WubbaNub on the other hand, falls out of the baby’s mouth but doesn’t go anywhere. The stuffed animal prevents it from falling and if it does, it is easy to find again. It also provides a little lovey for the baby when they get old enough to hold on to something.
- Moby Wrap- The Moby Wrap is perfect for carrying around a newborn. It is soft and stretchy and much less bulky than most baby carriers. I found it was perfect for carrying around my babies when I wanted them to sleep but they didn’t want to be put down or when I had a lot to get don
- Nose Frida- When you have a sick baby, this is a MUST HAVE in my opinion. It may seem gross, but when your baby is stuffed up and can’t breathe through their nose making it impossible for them to sleep, eat, or do anything else, you are going to wish you had one!
Forget those bulbs they send you home from the hospital with. For me they never seemed to get much out and then once it is in there, they’re hard to clean out. The Nose Freida is a nasal aspirator that consists of four parts. The main tube, the filter, the tube, and the mouthpiece. Once assembled, you put the pointed part in your baby’s nostril and the mouthpiece in your mouth. Then just suck the air from the tube. It gently sucks whatever is in your baby’s nose into the first tube. You don’t have to ever worry about getting anything in your mouth because it has a filter. Again, I KNOW it sounds gross. Disgusting even. I promise once you try it, you won’t regret it. You can even use it on toddlers that have trouble blowing their nose. *Tip: I also suggest using a nasal saline mist before using this to loosen things up and to keep your baby’s nose from drying out too much. I prefer to use Little Remedies however, there are many other brands like it out there that would work just as well.
- Humidifier– Another product you’ll want to have when your newborn is sick is a humidifier. This is an item that you can find at most stores so it is not hard to run out and get one when you need it. However, it is nice to have ahead of time so you have it when your child gets sick. If your child is congested, using a humidifier at night will help loosen up some of the mucus and snot.
This is by no means a comprehensive list of things you will need for a newborn, nor are they all necessities. They are simply products that I found were great to have as a new mom. As always, all babies are different. These are all products that have worked well for me or close friends and family. Not every product will work for every baby, but you never know until you try!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.